Start a petition at coworker.org with specific demands for your CEO or manager and get your coworkers to sign it.
Consider where you work and ask yourself:
- Has your employer made a recent statement or taken action to support Black Lives Matter? Does their public rhetoric match the reality of how they treat Black employees?
- Has your employer encouraged employees to speak out about these issues or do they respond with retaliation?
- Does your employer fund, donate to, or contract with police departments or politicians who are part of the systemic issues of racist policing?
- Does your employer take proactive action to support Black workers? Like ensuring equal pay, providing bereavement benefits, diverse leadership and more?
Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Ask your employer to commit to doing more with and for Black employees beyond just a statement.
- Ask your manager or CEO to release data about employees’ wages and who gets full-time vs part-time hours.
- Ask your employer to cut ties with the police and ICE.
- Ask your employer and their board members to stop contributing to ALEC.
- Ask a racist manager or CEO to resign.
- Ask them to change their policy on who gets full-time vs part-time hours and to prioritize existing workers instead of hiring new/more employees.
We’re excited that you want to make real changes at work. Tell us a little about the discrimination you’re facing at work.